With the New Year, many Georgians may be resolving to live greener in 2014. The best way to start may be by making a few small changes at time. Here are a few ways that Georgians can start saving money, conserving natural resources and reducing waste without sending their families into green culture shock. Take a reusable bag to the store when you grocery shop. Plastics (including plastic bags) make up 8 percent or 14.4 million tons of trash each year. Downsize by donating things you no longer use. If you want to give away things you no longer need, donate to a local non-profit or check out a local web-based Freecycle Network. This is a grassroots, nonprofit movement of people who are giving away things they no longer need or want and getting new stuff for free from other people in their community. Local groups are moderated by a volunteer and membership is free. Start recycling. To find recycling centers in your community go to Earth911.com. Replace incandescent light bulbs with Energy Star qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL). According to the EPA, if every home in the U.S. replaced one light bulb with a CFL, enough energy would be saved to light more than 3 million homes for a year. Limit your use of paper cups, paper plates and paper napkins. Use washable dinnerware and cloth napkins. Select the appropriate load size on the washing machine and follow the detergent’s manufacturer instructions on using the right amount. Instead of washing one dish at a time under running water, fill up the sink or a dishpan with soap and water and wash several dishes at once. You could save 5 gallons a day of water. Sweep off sidewalks, driveway and porches instead of wasting water by hosing them off. Start a compost pile for food scraps, grass and other yard clippings. You will reduce your garbage while improving your garden. Replace old appliances and plumbing fixtures with new Energy Star and Water Sense labeled products. Replacing appliances can save you about 30 percent on your utility bills. For more green tips, go to www.UGAGreenWay.org.
On Wednesday afternoon, USC Hospitality and Auxiliary Services workers held a protest on Childs Way near the Ronald Tutor Campus Center demanding higher wages.About 20 food service workers marched and chanted from noon until about 5 p.m.This marks the first protest by USC workers in the spring semester. Though the workers conducted larger protests in 2014, this is the first demonstration on campus grounds.The dialogue between the workers, represented by Unite Here Local 11 union, and the university began last summer.“We have been negotiating since July but we have not reached an agreement,” said Maria Villalobos, a university food service worker. “Our lawyer and their lawyer have been in talks but we have not reached a deal.”Villalobos, who has been a university employee for 42 years, explained that the protests have come after a series of unsuccessful meetings with the university. She explained how some of her colleagues have been suffering due to the low wages and limited hours allowed to work.Last year, Local 11 union, along with the Student Coalition Against Labor Exploitation, held demonstrations to the same issue. They claim that most of the workers protesting are paid less than $20,000 per year, a figure that traps them below poverty line.“We have had three protests in the 42 years I have worked here,” said Villalobos. She explained that the contract negotiations have stalled because the university is offering an increase of about 25 cents per hour after five years since the last negotiations.“We are going to continue to put pressure on them until there is a fair agreement. The current wages for these workers are simply not reasonable,” said Christian Torres, the union organizer who represents the workers.If the university fails to meet the worker’s demands, another protest is scheduled for Jan. 29.
Iranian officials say they have started using various types of advanced centrifuges to enrich uranium, in violation of that country’s 2015 nuclear deal. Additionally, a spokesman says that Europe is quickly running out of time to offer new terms to save the four-year-old accord.Iran had already breached the stockpile and enrichment level limits that were set by the deal, while saying it could return to the terms of the accord if Europe allows Tehran to sell its crude oil abroad.Tensions between Iran and the U.S. have grown in recent months, following mysterious attacks on oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, as well as Iran shooting down a U.S. military surveillance drone, and other incidents in the Middle East.Behrouz Kamalvandi, of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, said in a news conference Saturday, “Our stockpile is quickly increasing. We hope they will come to their senses.”The accord requires Iran to limit its uranium enrichment in exchange for sanctions relief. The limitations include a requirement that Iran use only 5,060 first-generation IR-1 centrifuges. A centrifuge enriches uranium by quickly spinning uranium hexafluoride gas.However, Kamalvandi says Iran has actually started using an array of 20 IR-6 centrifuges, in addition to 20 IR-4 centrifuges. An IR-6 can produce enriched uranium 10 times as fast as an IR-1, and an IR-4 produces it five times as fast.Iran already has allegedly increased its enrichment up to 4.5 percent, whereas the deal allowed 3.67 percent.Kamalvandi adds that Iran had the ability exceed 20 percent enrichment of uranium. According to experts, that amount is not far away from achieving weapons-grade levels of 90 percent enrichment, although Tehran claims that its programs are peaceful, and United Nations inspectors are being permitted to continue monitoring sites in Iran.While Kamalvandi emphasizes that “the Islamic Republic is not after the bomb,” he adds that Iran is running out of ways to remain in the 2015 deal. He says, “If Europeans want to make any decision, they should do it soon.”
If you have any information that can help investigators, call the sheriff’s office at 772-462-3230, or Treasure Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-800-273-8477. Investigators say the discovery of a woman’s body on I-95 is now being investigated as a homicide.According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a driver found the body on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. on the southbound side of I-95 near mile marker 127, which is north of Midway Road, when he pulled over with car trouble.On Thursday, the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office identified the woman as Cindy Marie McDonald, 57, of Fort Pierce, and said her death is being investigated as a homicide.Deputies say McDonald’s body was dumped on the side of I-95, but are not sure what exactly happened.“If you recognize Cindy McDonald, or had any contact with her in the days leading up Tuesday, we need them to contact the detectives,” said Chief Deputy Garry Wilson. “If anyone saw Cindy last week at any time, we would like to know where she was seen and who she might have been with.”
Caption: Jackie Foster (image copyright Leaderboard Photography) Tags: Jackie Foster, Senior, Stroke Play, Womens International Jackie Foster will target a hat trick of titles when the English senior women’s open stroke play championship starts next week at Belton Park Golf Club, Lincolnshire.Foster, from Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, has already pulled off back-to-back wins in this event, winning by four shots last year. If she makes it three-in-a-row she’ll be the first player to achieve the feat.But she faces a tough challenge from a field packed with leading seniors and fellow internationals. For at stake is not just the title, but precious order of merit points which could lead to a place in an England senior team.Other title contenders include Aileen Greenfield (Pyecombe), who has just won the English senior women’s amateur and will be eyeing an attractive double. Three other past champions are also among the competitors, Cath Rawthore (Sale), Sue Dye (Delamere Forest) and Janet Melville (Royal Birkdale).There’s also the challenge of the fine Belton Park course, which is set in 240 acres of Lincolnshire parkland. As well as its test of golf it offers great views of the National Trust landscape and an abundance of wildlife, including the large population of fallow deer.Local interest will focus on Anna Clark, a member of Belton Park, and Lynn Exley from Gedney Hill, another Lincolnshire club.The 54-hole championship starts on Tuesday, 19 June, and continues until Thursday, 21 June. The full field will play 18 holes on each of the first two days. Then the leading 45 competitors and ties will play the final 18 holes on the third day. 14 Jun 2018 Jackie targets a senior hat trick
ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 20, 2017)–Sent from the opening bell, heavily favored Elwood J was all-out late to win Friday’s $56,000 allowance feature by one length under Flavien Prat. In a driving rain, the Jerry Hollendorfer trainee got six furlongs on a “wet-fast” surface in 1:09.83.Dispatched at 3-5 in a field of five California-bred or sired horses three years of age, Elwood J paid $3.40, $2.80 and $2.10. Owned by Joe L. Turner, the 3-year-old gelding by Vronsky notched his second win from five starts and with the winner’s share of $33,600, he increased his earnings to $83,940.“I don’t know how far this horse will go, but he sure ran good today,” said Hollendorfer assistant, Dan Ward, who related that Hollendorfer was “on his way to Florida” to attend this Saturday’s Eclipse Awards at Gulfstream Park. “We’ll look at some Cal-bred stakes for this horse.”Facing stiff pressure from eventual third place finisher Harvest a Storm until well inside the sixteenth pole, Elwood J set rapid splits of 21.50, 44.44 and 56.90 and held sway over longshot Popular Kid, who was motoring wide-out.Ridden by Modesto Linares, Popular Kid, who was last after the first quarter mile, was off at 12-1 and paid $7.00 and $3.40.Harvest a Storm, who was handled by Luis Contreras, checked in a half length behind Popular Kid and paid $2.80 to show.With sunny skies forecast for Saturday, Santa Anita will present a nine-race program, highlighted by the Grade II, $200,000 Santa Monica Stakes. First post time is at 12:30 p.m. and admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.
Donegal’s Relay for Life patron Daniel O’Donnell has sent a special message to all those taking part in the event on May 30th/31st next.Simply click on the video to see Daniel’s message. DDTV: DANIEL SENDS SPECIAL MESSAGE TO RELAY FOR LIFE DONEGAL was last modified: April 11th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnellRelay for Life
Embed from Getty ImagesReading boss Jaap Stam insisted his side are not suffering a play-off hangover after their season started with a 2-0 defeat at QPR. It was a miserable afternoon for last term’s beaten play-off finalists, who had Tiago Iloro sent off and saw summer signing Jon Dadi Bodvarsson go off with a knee injury in the second half.Conor Washington scored both Rangers’ goals, heading in from close range on 22 minutes and slotting home a penalty 14 minutes into the second half after Iloro had been red-carded for fouling Pawel Wszolek in the box.“The players need to be up for it again and they are,” said Stam.“The play-offs is an easy excuse. It needs to be an inspiration for the players – and it is.“You have to want to be in that position again and we do. To do well you have to work hard and have some pain at certain times.“We just didn’t play well. We knew QPR were going to play a certain way to stop us getting opportunities and they did that very well.“The sending-off was obviously a turning point but at 1-0 we had chances and didn’t take them.“We were not good enough and if you don’t do what you need to and bring a certain level of aggressiveness you are not going to beat teams.”However, Stam did feel that play should have been stopped in the build up to Iloro conceding the all-important penalty as Bodvarsson lay injured.The Dutchman said: “I think play should have been stopped. Bodvarsson was on the floor and he was screaming with his knee.“Then, after that, there were a couple of times when someone was down and the game was stopped.”See also:Two for Washington as QPR beat ReadingHolloway: QPR’s pressing style is here to stayQPR v Reading player ratingsHolloway explains Manning’s absence for QPR’s win Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
alex williams Chester French is a rock band that has built an application on the Force.com platform. That’s compelling for the simple fact that when a rock and roll band develops its own application, you know that the market is seeing a far wider adoption than it has ever before.Even more, it’s an important reminder of the advantage of building your own applications over complete reliance on a social network that does not give you access to the customer information that you have developed on the platform.Known for its dose of “pop pastiche,” whimsical lyrics and high energy, Chester French has shown enough popularity to get a record deal with Interscope and perform on the same bill as Weezer.Chester French – She loves everybodyUploaded by le-pere-de-colombe. – Music videos, artist interviews, concerts and more.The band built a VIP application for its fans using Force.com. VIP members receive perks for being on the VIP list. The more they promote the band, the more points they get. Prizes include music and t-shirts.Here’s their story as told by singer D.A. Wallach. It’s an interesting tale about the music industry and how one band built its own application to form direct relationships with its fans instead of being highly dependent on a social network site. Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… It’s a problem that doesn’t just plague rock bands. A hosted platform can be a bit of a trap. Often, you do not own the data. Application platforms may not be as open as we’d like but you own the information and it can be exported .You can’t say that much about Facebook, which is lacking as a business platform simply because you can’t export your own contact information. I asked Marc Benioff about this last week in context to how Salesforce.com is integrating with Facebook. He said it is the individual’s decision about how they want to move their information around.But what is the point of a Facebook application environment if the contact information you develop is locked up?That’s going to be a big question for social networks as more businesses move to platforms like Facebook. Contact information is scattered for most people. An application may be the best answer for companies when developing relationships for commercial efforts. Social networks are becoming important for business but their value is compromised when they suck in your customer contact information but don’t let it out. Related Posts Tags:#enterprise#news#saas IT + Project Management: A Love Affair 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. Transit unveiled two new Vicinity buses that will be coming to the Energetic City Friday afternoon.The 35-foot medium duty buses made by Grande West International Ltd. will better meet the transit needs of the community they serve.“We are pleased that Fort St. John residents will benefit from the newer vehicles,” said Mayor Lori Ackerman. “We look forward to enjoying the updates and improvements to the fleet.” A bus can seat 30 passengers with room for 24 standees along with two mobility aids and are also equipped with two doors for easier access to enter or exit the bus for customers. They will feature closed-circuit cameras for improved customer safety.“The new buses will help us better connect people and communities in Fort St. John,” added BC Transit President and Chief Executive Officer, Manuel Achadinha. “Customers will see and hear a difference with the new buses as they are more effective and efficient.”Each bus will cost roughly $347,000 and will be funded by the province and the City of Fort St. John through the B.C. Transit President and Chief Executive Officer.Over 100 Vicinity buses will be arriving in communities across B.C. over the next two years.For more information about the Fort St. John transit system visit bctransit.com/fort-st-john.