Marine-i, a pioneering program designed to boost the marine technology sector in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, has organized a free conference to discuss ways to improve marine data, and the latest in surveying technology.The event has been devised to respond to some key issues facing the marine industry, solving which will be vital from both an economic and environmental perspective, according to Marine-i.These include a widespread lack of understanding of the sea and its value, combined with the challenge of the mounting demands on ocean resources as the world population grows.The free-to-attend event will be held on May 23, 2018 at St Austell Conference Centre.The line-up of expert speakers will include representatives from the Met Office, the South West Coastal Monitoring Programme, University of Exeter, Oceanwise and the South West Centre of Excellence in Satellites.Matt Hodson, Marine Hub Operations Director at Cornwall Development Company, says: “This event is an opportunity to explore how technology in marine surveying and the use of data in marine applications can be applied to help meet these global issues.“We will explore the technology challenges moving forward and shine a spotlight on the Research, Development and Innovation efforts that will be needed. The event will also highlight the valuable new commercial opportunities arising for innovative marinetech businesses.”Marine-i is an initiative focused on four interconnected themes including marine energy, marine manufacturing, maritime operations and marine environmental technologies that was supported with £6.8 million of the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) funding in March 2017.
15 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Share Tweet NewsRegional Caribbean leaders concerned about Turks and Caicos Islands by: – July 6, 2011 Some of the CARICOM leaders present at the recent summit in St KittsBASSETERRE, St Kitts (CUOPM) — The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) heads of government have expressed concern on the situation in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) where Britain resumed direct administration of its overseas territory in August 2009.The communiqué issued at the end of the 32nd regular meeting of the Conference of Caribbean Heads of Government in St Kitts on Monday noted that “the constitutional reform process had been completed though not to the full satisfaction of the Islanders.”The TCI has associate membership within the 15-member regional grouping, and citizens there have been demanding an end to British rule and a return to parliamentary democracy.London resumed direct administration of the affairs of the British Overseas Territory, disbanded the locally elected government and suspended the legislature after a Commission of Inquiry said it found widespread corruption under the administration of former premier Michael Misick.Misick, who resigned in March 2009, after the commission made its findings public, has called on all Turks and Caicos Islanders, churches and political parties to put differences aside and “unite to fight the common enemy — the British.”Misick accused London of staging what he termed a “modern-day coup” in the Turks and Caicos Islands while the rest of the world was not watching.In its communiqué, the regional leaders said that the citizens are expecting that elections will be held in the shortest timeframe possible, “in order to lead to a return to self rule and democratic and representative governance’.The leaders said that have requested the Council for Foreign and Community Relations (COFCOR) “to continue to monitor the situation closely, in order to keep them informed.”Caribbean News Now Share
high tempo Following mixed results at this year’s staging of the annual Roper Cup pre-season competition, neighbours St George’s College (StGC) and Kingston College (KC) have claimed joint share of the Roper Cup Trophy for 2015-16. In a game played under lights at Sabina Park on Saturday night, the ISSA/Manning Cup schoolboy football competition’s curtain raiser for both schools sparked some excitement among fans, with KC having more to cheer about at the end, courtesy of a gutsy 1-0 win over their North Street rivals. The contest featured attacking at a high tempo, producing end-to-end football. Numerous scoring chances were created, but not finished. In minute 41, Renalto Scarlett scored the lone goal of the game and eventually saw his team hold on for a confidence-boosting win. KC’s coach, Ludlow Bernard, said he was taking no chances against St George’s, whose assistant coach, Marcel Gayle, rued missed chances. “They are where I want them to be right now. It’s just for them to settle their nerves,” Bernard said after the game. He added: “It’s a good win, even though St George’s would not have fielded their strongest team.” Gayle, meanwhile, said: “We got one-love, but it was a spirited performance. It looks good for us going forward. Despite missing a few chances, St George’s will get better,” Gayle concluded. The Roper Cup was decided by two contests, the Pancho Rankine for Under-35s that St George’s won 2-1, and the Manning Cup clash. There were other meetings between the school’s players, as KC’s over-35 team beat St George’s 3-2, and the Purples’ Pepsi Under-14 team won 3-1. Meanwhile, a Jamaica College team drubbed Calabar High 4-0.
…share prices, interest in Guyana jumpsBy Jarryl BryanUnited Kingdom-based oil company Tullow has announced the discovery of oil in commercial quantities at the Jethro-1 exploration well in the Orinduik Block, becoming the second oil company to announce an oil find offshore Guyana.This is the first discovery in the Orinduik Block, which is located in close proximity to the Stabroek Block – where United States oil giant ExxonMobil has already made 13 lucrative oil discoveries.Tullow Head of Communications,George CazenoveIt is understood that the Jethro-1 well was drilled by the Stena Forth drillship to a total depth of 4400 metres in approximately 1350 metres of water. According to a statement from the company, evaluation of the logging data confirmed that Jethro-1 comprises high-quality oil-bearing sandstone reservoirs of Lower Tertiary age, which simply means they date back to millions of years ago.According to the statement, the well encountered 55m of net oil pay, which indicates a recoverable oil resource estimate that exceeds Tullow’s pre-drill forecast of 100 million barrels of oil.Tullow CEO Paul McDadeShares jumpedNews of the find created waves in financial centres around the world, as well as international news outlets. Up to press time, Tullow’s shares had jumped by over 19 per cent on the London Stock Exchange. In fact, it was the biggest gainer on the index.In the company’s press release, Tullow’s Chief Executive Officer, Paul McDade, was quoted as praising the oil discovery as a great start to their drilling campaign in Guyana. He noted the significant technical work that went into their exploration activities.“This substantial and high-value oil discovery in Guyana is an outcome of the significant technical and commercial focus which has underpinned the reset of our exploration portfolio. It is an excellent start to our drilling campaign in the highly prolific Guyana oil province.”“We look forward to drilling both the Joe and Carapa prospects in our 2019 drilling campaign and the material follow-up exploration potential in both the Orinduik and Kanuku licenses,” McDade was quoted as saying in the release.Exploration licenceMeanwhile, Tullow’s Head of Communications, George Cazenove explained in an interview with this publication that while Tullow currently has an exploration licence, the company first needs to fully determine the potential commerciality of the block and put plans in place before they seek a production licence.“After one exploration well, we are some way from that despite the success we have had. The focus, for now, remains exploration with the Joe well [Orinduik] and Carapa well [Kanuku] coming up and we will do more exploration in 2020.”Major developmentIn a statement on Monday, Director of the Department of Energy, Dr Mark Bynoe said that the discovery was a major development for the country as it adds to the further de-risking of the deep and ultra-deep zone.London Stock Exchange showing how Tullow’s share price jumped on the heels of their oil find“The Department of Energy is encouraged by the prolific rate of discovery in the CRG and will continue to work assiduously and conscientiously to extract optimum value from these resources for all the peoples of our country,” Bynoe said.He noted that it also offers significant potential for the diversification of Guyana’s hydrocarbon production base. With this significant find, it is expected that Tullow will now evaluate the data from the Jethro-1 discovery and consequentially carry out an appraisal.Other projectsIt is understood that the UK-based company also has plans to drill two more wells offshore Guyana. These plans include the Joe prospect in the Orinduik Block, while the Carapa 1 will be drilled later this year on the adjacent Kanuku Block.The Joe is located in approximately 650 metres of water and costs approximately US$3 million to drill. A recently published report from international company Gustavson Associates had estimated that the well has a 43.2 per cent chance of success.The Orinduik oil block is just a few kilometres from Exxon’s discoveries in the Liza and Payara fields. It is under the administration of Eco Guyana and Tullow, who signed a 10-year Petroleum Prospecting licence and Production Sharing Agreement with Guyana in 2016. French firm Total E&P Activities Petrolieres entered the fray in 2017, partnering with Eco with the option to get a 25 per cent share in the block.Tullow had announced since February that it was bringing forward its drilling programme from the previously scheduled end of the year to the second quarter. It had announced that the Jethro prospect would be drilled in June.On the other hand, it was announced that its Carapa prospect in Kanuku would be drilled in the third quarter of 2019. It is understood that the net cost of the Jethro well is US$30 million, while the Carapa well will cost US$20 million.Tullow Guyana BV is the operator of the Orinduik Block, with a 60 per cent stake. Total E&P Guyana BV holds 25 per cent with the remaining 15 per cent being held by Eco (Atlantic) Guyana Inc.This configuration can all change, however, as it was recently announced that Qatar’s state oil company is looking to enter into Guyana’s oil market with a farm-in deal through Total that could see them obtaining stakes in both the Orinduik and Kanuku Blocks.
An assistant teacher at a Donegal secondary school had sex with a 14 year old pupil after striking up a relationship with her on a Facebook page.Letterkenny court.The man, who was in his 20s at the time, was taking part in a Strictly Come Dancing event at the school. He received a message from the young girl and they began an online friendship.However some time later the teacher, who cannot be named for legal reasons, sent the girl a picture of his erect penis.They then arranged to meet on two occasions between February and April of 2012.The first time they met she was very drunk but he was sober and they met at her grandmother’s vacant home in East Donegal.On that occasion he had oral and full sex with the girl who was a virgin at the time.The following day he contacted the girl and told her what had happened was a mistake and should not happen again.The on April 8th, 2012, she had been drinking heavily at her family home and sent the man a text at 10pm.He said he had been at a rugby match and became aroused when she contacted him.They arranged to meet again and he asked her to bring a condom as he had not got one with him.Again full sex took place and she said he was much rougher than the first time.Barrister for the man, Martin Giblin, told Letterkenny Circuit Court today the man had become completely ostracised from his community.Before this he had been fine sportsman who enjoyed boxing and rugby.He said he had also apologised to the woman.The man, who pleaded guilty to the defilement of a child on two occasions, sat the back of the courtroom wringing his hands and weeping throughout the case.He had no previous convictions and came from a hard-working and decent family who were very upset by what had happened.The man has also had to move out of his local area.Judge Matthew Deery said the man has been co-operative and apologetic.“The position is she was vulnerable and the offences are obviously serious,” he said.He added that it was clear that he took advantage of her.He sentenced the man to two years for each charge but suspended the last six months of each sentence meaning the man will serve 18 months in prison.ASSISTANT TEACHER JAILED AFTER HAVING SEX WITH 14 YEAR OLD PUPIL AFTER FACEBOOK RELATIONSHIP was last modified: July 16th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ChildcourtdefilementdonegalsexTEACHER