Author Jon Krakauer Highlights Governor Wolf’s “It’s On Us PA” Campaign, Need to Address Campus Sexual Assault

first_img October 26, 2016 It’s On Us PA,  Press Release,  Public Health Harrisburg, PA – Bestselling author Jon Krakauer today traveled to Harrisburg to discuss his recent book “Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town” and Wolf administration efforts to combat campus sexual assault in Pennsylvania through the “It’s On Us PA” campaign. At public event at the Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Krakauer participated in an in-depth discussion focused on the epidemic of campus rape across the country moderated by Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR) Chief Public Affairs Officer Kristen Houser.A preeminent writer of narrative non-fiction, Krakauer’s numerous bestsellers include “Where Men Win Glory,” “Under the Banner of Heaven,” “Into the Wild,” and “Into Thin Air.” Krakauer was joined at the event by First Lady Frances Wolf, Commission for Women Chair Randi Teplitz, Harrisburg Mayor Eric Papenfuse, and PCAR CEO Delilah Rumburg.“Sexual assault has a corrosive effect on all of us,” said Governor Tom Wolf. “My administration is committed to combatting this urgent and serious epidemic, specifically on college campuses. That’s why we created “It’s On Us PA” earlier this year – the first statewide campaign to address campus sexual assault. I am so pleased too that in addition to our partners within the higher education and K-12 communities, we also have the support of bestselling author Jon Krakauer, who’s recent book “Missoula” brings much-needed attention and a call to action about the widespread issue of campus sexual assault across the country.”In an effort to increase awareness, education and resources to combat sexual assault, on January 29, 2016 Governor Wolf launched “It’s On Us PA.” Building on the national “It’s On Us” movement launched by President Obama and Vice President Biden in 2014, “It’s On Us PA” engages education leaders from school superintendents to college presidents as well as students, teachers, families, and communities to make a personal and public pledge to play a role in preventing, addressing, and responding effectively to sexual violence. Since that time, over 1,500 individuals and representatives from 176 schools in Pennsylvania have taken the pledge on the Governor’s website. The campaign’s goals are to:Improve awareness, prevention, reporting, and response systems regarding sexual violence in schools, colleges and universities to better serve all students.Remove/reduce barriers that prevent survivors of sexual violence from reporting and/or accessing vital resources by creating a more consistent, empowering reporting process for student survivors of gender based violence.Demonstrate significant, proactive, and sustainable leadership to change campus culture by challenging Pennsylvania’s education leaders – including college and university presidents, superintendents – as well as students, teachers, faculty, staff, families, and communities to pledge to improve their institutions’ climate.In addition, on September 15, the Governor’s Office announced a grant program in which eligible post-secondary institutions in Pennsylvania could apply for up to $30,000 in competitive funding to address campus sexual assault. The application period closed on October 15th and grant awards are expected to be announced next week.This initiative builds on an important dialogue sparked by the Pennsylvania Commission for Women, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and PCAR last November, which brought together educators, advocates, students, and policymakers for a screening of The Hunting Ground documentary. “Over the last year, it has been exciting to see the momentum build around the “It’s On Us PA” campaign,” said Randi Teplitz. “I am proud that the Pennsylvania Commission for Women has been actively engaged in the conversation that is helping to shift the culture and sensitivity in which we handle these cases in Pennsylvania. It is only after society declares these behaviors and crimes to be intolerable can true change occur.”“We are truly at a watershed moment when it comes to changing the way we respond to sexual violence in this country,” said Delilah Rumburg, CEO of PCAR. “It is heartening to have so many voices joining ours to support survivors and call out inappropriate words and actions. To have the leadership of the Governor and Mrs. Wolf and the PA Commission for Women working with us here in Pennsylvania is phenomenal.”Since the launch of “It’s On Us PA,” the Wolf administration has been working with community leaders and stakeholders from across the Commonwealth to develop a comprehensive, statewide policy to address the pressing issue of sexual assault in our schools and postsecondary institutions, which will be announced in the coming months.For more information about “It’s On Us PA” or to take the pledge, visit https://www.governor.pa.gov/its-on-us/.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf Author Jon Krakauer Highlights Governor Wolf’s “It’s On Us PA” Campaign, Need to Address Campus Sexual Assaultcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Jury asked to return ‘just’ verdict of guilty in murder trial

first_img Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share 158 Views   2 commentscenter_img LocalNews Jury asked to return ‘just’ verdict of guilty in murder trial by: – May 23, 2012 David St. JeanState attorney Clement Joseph has asked a nine member jury to return a “just” verdict; one he said should be guilty in the murder trial of Clement James of Good Hope.It is the prosecution’s contention that on 20th September, 2010 David St. Jean “fatally stabbed” Clement James on the Indian River Bridge.Joseph told the jurors that there is “no dispute that James died of a stab wound which St. Jean admitted that he inflicted”.According to him, the star witness of the case who he identified to be David St Jean “told us that he took a knife from the deceased, however fanciful that might sound, and he made lashes at his hand. We heard him say that he was defending himself but there must be an attack”.Joseph told the jurors who appeared to be very attentive, that Clement James was a “human being full of life on September 20, 2010. We heard allegations and innuendos that he was a homosexual. So what? We heard allegations that he was HIV positive but the pathologist didn’t conduct a test to prove that. We heard Dr. Francois testify that James her he was HIV positive, but would that have made him less of a human being? Did St. Jean have a right to cause his death even if it is said that everybody must die?”He also sought to address an issue raised by defence counsel Wayne Norde during cross examination.“We heard much talk about Vernon Matthew because he waited ten months before coming forward to give evidence, but we have cases that remain unsolved for years, so if a witness comes forward should we refuse him? Ladies and gentlemen we hope to see Mr. Matthew on the 3rd of November receiving a meritorious award”.Joseph also noted that although Norde sought to question sergeant John Carbon who recorded St. Jean’s statement in the absence of an independent witness, claimed that this was not an issue.Clement James, lying in a pool of blood on the Indian River Bridge on 20th September, 2010. Phto credit: Inside PossieHe read the statement which St. Jean gave to Carbon without an independent witness on 21st of September, 2010 the day after the incident, and also read the unsworn statement that St. Jean read in Court on Friday 18th May, 2012, highlighting to the jury that the statements were “identical”.Joseph told the jurors that St Jean had assisted them in determining who stabbed Clement James but a critical aspect is why was he stabbed?“I’ll tell you why he stabbed him. He said; “From growing up in Glanvillia, I heard he was gay. I remember telling the police he was holding his crotch, he was licking his lips and he was looking at me”. That is why Clement James was stabbed”.Joseph further told the jurors that he would have turned and left but “St. Jean crossed the road and went to warn him, what you warning him about? As a result of feeling disrespected Clement James is a dead man”.According to Joseph, “From 160 feet away a man grabbed his crotch, looked at you, licked his lips, you crossed the bridge and confronted him. After your crossed 160 feet to attack a man that looked at you, you stabbed him fatally and then say you were defending yourself?”Joseph told the jurors to return a verdict of guilty because “to leave 160 feet and defend yourself against a stare that is not a defence, there was no provocation”.Defence counsel Bernadette Lambert however told the jury that they “cannot return a guilty verdict” because there are “too many inconsistencies in the prosecution’s case” and that they “did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt”.Lambert told the jury that they “cannot believe” the prosecution’s star witness Vernon Matthew differing from state attorney Clement Joseph that her client was the star witness, as Matthew’s evidence was filled with “untruths, inconsistencies and lies”.She direction to Matthew who waited ten months to come forward with his statement, after discussing the trial during the preliminary inquiry stage at the magistrate’s court with his “very good friend” Martin James the brother of Clement James.She continued that Matthew was also “left alone in a room in the Portsmouth Police Station” with the case file which includes all the evidence and statements pertaining to the trial, “before he had given his statement” and that he had used “police parlance” like “in a northerly direction, a scuffle and what appeared to be blood” in his statement, implying that he was assisted by the police.Lambert also sought to discredit Matthew as a witness claiming that Carlos Edward who was also a witness for the prosecution but was unable to attend the trial as he died last month, never said in his evidence that he saw Matthew anywhere on the scene.According to her, Edwards’ evidence supports the defence’s case that St. Jean was defending himself.“He said the first person he head quarrelling and arguing was the deceased [Clement James] and he saw the deceased holding onto the accused [David St. Jean] shirt by his collar and the accused was trying to get away from the deceased,” Lambert read from Edwards’ evidence during the preliminary inquiry. Lambert also told the jurors that sergeant Carbon “flouted good police practice” when he recorded the statement from St. Jean without an independent witness and sough to “rush his investigations” despite the fact that he had “a 72 hour window” in which to do so.According to her, St. Jean maintained that he was defending himself and the area where James was stabbed, on his left shoulder, is consistent with this defence because if St. Jean “intended” to kill James he would have stabbed him on another part of his body where the “major organs” are located.She said an essential aspect of murder is “intention” and that St. Jean did not intend to kill James.“St. Jean must not and cannot be the only one held accountable for the death of Clement James. We might be slow in admitting that James died because of the stigma attached to being HIV positive. He died because of the delay in receiving medical attention; there was a serious neglect of James on that day,” she said. She pleaded with the jurors that they should not feel “sympathetic” for anyone including her client in reaching a verdict, but that they are to consider all the facts and evidence which was presented to them in court.“I challenge you that if you consider the evidence fairly and justly then the only logical and correct verdict is to find the accused not guilty of murder,” she concluded.Justice Birnie Stephenson-Brooks addressed the jury on the legal aspects of the case and they have retired to the jury room to deliberate.They can return a verdict of either guilty or not guilty of murder, or guilty of manslaughter. Dominica Vibes News Sharelast_img read more

Carroll ‘will receive expert help’

first_img With only Modibo Maiga and Ricardo Vaz Te available as forward cover, Allardyce moved quickly to bring in Petric, the 32-year-old Croatia international who had a spell at Fulham last season. But a return for Carlton Cole, who left West Ham at the end of his contract in June, was called off after the seven-capped England forward failed to prove his fitness. Allardyce, however, revealed the 29-year-old free agent could still be offered some sort of deal down the line. “We have offered training time to Carlton, for him to try and get fit if he wants,” Allardyce added. “If he is happy with that, I would be, and we will see where we are from there, because we still have one place left in the squad.” Allardyce is expecting a response at St Mary’s on Sunday to the lacklustre performance that saw his men defeated 1-0 at home by Stoke before the international break. He said: “You always want to go into an international break with a positive result. We didn’t get it. “Then (we had) the trials and tribulations of the window shutting after that and then, of course, earlier this week, the setback with Andy Carroll, so it has made the last two weeks very difficult for me personally. “But the squad is still very focused and, I hope, determined to deliver the performance that we know we can produce at Southampton.” The 24-year-old had been pencilled in to feature in the Irons squad for the first time this season, ahead of Sunday’s Barclays Premier League game at Southampton, following his £15million summer move from Liverpool. Carroll had returned to training following an Achilles problem which ruled him out of the end-of-season international friendlies, after an impressive loan spell at Upton Park had seen him restored to Roy Hodgson’s World Cup plans. West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has promised England striker Andy Carroll will be given all the expert medical help he needs to recover from his latest “devastating” injury setback. Press Association However, West Ham confirmed on Friday morning the former Newcastle frontman had further injured his foot during a training session earlier this week. He has aggravated the plantar fascia tissue which supports the arch and is now set for another extended spell on the sidelines. Press Association Sport understands Carroll has travelled to Europe – boarding a plane for Belgium earlier on Friday morning – to begin a rehabilitation programme which the club hopes will not require an operation, but no time frame has been set for a possible return to full-match fitness. “It is not as serious (an injury) as the first one, which is a little bit of good news from our point of view,” Allardyce told a press conference. “It is just making sure that we continue the right treatment, recovery and rehabilitation to get him back as quickly as possible. “No (there is no timescale), not at the moment, not until he has seen all the specialists and we determine the way forward for Andy and his recovery. “It is hugely frustrating, and devastating for Andy, because we were sort of thinking that this Sunday might be his first appearance on the substitutes’ bench, having started to join in training. “When we found out he had picked up another injury – not in the same place, but in the same tendon – we have to deal with that accordingly, and of course we have moved along quickly to make a signing to cover that area and give us a bit more firepower. “So when he gets fit, Mladen Petric will hopefully play a good part between now and the end of the season.” last_img read more