Egypt: Sinai specialist Ismail Alexandrani completes second year in pre-trial detention

first_img Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution News Better known as Ismail Alexandrani, a pen-name he chose in honour of his home town, the northern city of Alexandria, he is a respected freelance investigative reporter, political scientist and sociologist specializing in the Sinai Peninsula’s Jihadi movements. Arrested at Hurghada airport, in the Red Sea Governorate, on his return from Berlin on 29 November 2015, Alexandrani has been held provisionally ever since. RSF urges the authorities to free him and drop all charges against him. RSF also calls for the release of all journalists who are unjustly detained in Egypt. “The Egyptian authorities must allow local journalists to investigate subjects of public interest even when the authorities regard these subjects as sensitive,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “Detaining a journalist provisionally for two years can only be regarded as an excessive punishment. We call on the authorities to explain the grounds that supposedly justify repeatedly prolonging his pre-trial detention.” Alain Gresh, a French journalist who has met Alexandrani several times and as the editor of the online newspaper Orient XXI and as a journalist at the monthly Le Monde Diplomatique, for which Alexandrani wrote, said: “It was undoubtedly his articles about the Sinai for the international media that prompted his arrest.” The editor of Orient XXI said: “He was a rigorous reporter and extremely well informed, especially about the Sinai where he had many contacts, while the Egyptian authorities tried and still try to prevent any serious reporting emerging from the region.” Alexandrani’s detention has been systematically renewed every 45 days for the past two years, reaching the legal limit for provisional detention in Egypt. He is held on suspicion of publishing false information and belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood but the charges are not definitive because judicial proceedings have not yet been formally initiated against him. “Everyone who knows him has been struck by the inanity of these accusations,” said Youssef el Chazli, a political scientist and PhD student, who points out that Alexandrani’s tens of thousands of Facebook follows are fully aware of “his intellectual and political aversion to Islamist movements, including the Muslim Brotherhood.” Nominated for the RSF Press Freedom Prize in 2016, Alexandrani was an associate researcher at the Arab Reform Initiative in Paris and a guest lecturer at the Wilson Centre in Washington. He also wrote for MadaMasr, Safir Arabi, Al Jazeera English and the Forum for Arab and International Relations. At least 16 journalists are currently detained in connection with their work in Egypt, which is ranked 161st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information February 1, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates its call for the immediate and unconditional release of Ismail Al Sayed Mohamed Omar Toufic, a respected Egyptian journalist and researcher who was arrested by the Egyptian authorities exactly two years ago today. RSF_en News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expression January 22, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img Wilson centre Follow the news on Egypt February 6, 2021 Find out more Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expression Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff Organisation November 29, 2017 – Updated on November 30, 2017 Egypt: Sinai specialist Ismail Alexandrani completes second year in pre-trial detention to go further Newslast_img read more

Man arrested after suspicious approach made to child in city

first_imgLimerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Previous articleFrench community in Limerick celebrates Mai 1968Next articleLimerick woman scores €33,000 on Winning Streak Staff Reporter WhatsApp Email Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival The incident happened at 1pm on SundayGARDAI in Limerick have arrested an questioned a man in connection with alleged suspicious approach made to a child in Limerick city centre.The arrest was made after an attempt was made to take a five-year-old boy from his family on O’Connell Street at around lunchtime on Sunday.Warnings and pictures were shared across social media in the hours that followed as users posted images of the man and the allegations of the incident.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Gardai were alerted to the incident and the man was arrested in the city centre a short time later.“A man in his 20s has been arrested by gardaí following a suspicious and unexplained approach to a minor earlier today on O’Connell Street, Limerick,” a Garda spokesperson said.The male culprit is understood to have approached the young boy who was beside his father before he fled after the boy’s father intervened.The man was arrested and brought to Mayorstone Garda Station for questioning and detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.Gardai say that investigations are ongoing.See more Limerick news here WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Printcenter_img Facebook Twitter Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” LimerickNewsMan arrested after suspicious approach made to child in cityBy Staff Reporter – April 30, 2018 2356 Linkedin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR TAGSchildGardaílimericksuspicious approach Advertisementlast_img read more

Colorado’s New VERTEX Festival Announces Lineup Additions With Stunning Videos

first_imgThe exciting new Vertex Festival is set to take place in Buena Vista, CO from August 5-7, bringing artists like Alabama Shakes, Trey Anastasio Band and ODESZA out for this inaugural celebration. The much-hyped festival just got a lineup booster, as 11 exciting new artists have been tacked on to the Vertex lineup.Nationally-acclaimed artists Emancipator Ensemble, Buckwheat Zydeco and Dreamer’s Delight all lead the pack of artist additions, but there’s plenty more music to be excited about. A bounty of Colorado-based musicians, including Drunken Hearts, Trout Steak Revival, Zach Heckendorf, Head For The Hills, Evanoff, The RunniKine, Mama Magnolia and Other Worlds, will all be in attendance.The full festival lineup can be seen below, and more information is available on the festival’s website.Lineup Announcement:Festival Site Sneak Peak:last_img read more

Warrior spirit

first_imgAndrew Kinard likes to stretch far back in his wheelchair and wrap his hands behind his head, revealing long twin scars that run the length of his muscled forearms like mottled ravines. It’s a casual pose, but one that took months of effort and dozens of surgeries to perfect.“The fact that I can do this is pretty remarkable,” he said, smiling and wiggling his fingers.Today, the arms that Kinard could barely lift from his hospital bed less than five years ago can power a handcycle wheelchair — a low-sitting, hand-pedaled bicycle — across the finish line at the Boston Marathon. His journey up Heartbreak Hill on Monday (April 18) was the culmination of months of training, mostly done on stationary bike rollers in the basement of his Harvard Business School (HBS) apartment building, sometimes on the 17-mile loop of the Esplanade when the weather was nice enough.But it also marked the fulfillment of a promise Kinard, a J.D./M.B.A. candidate, made to himself not long after losing his legs: that the wounds he suffered in battle wouldn’t control his life.“It’s a decision I have to make every day,” he said. “It never goes away, but it’s a commitment that I made.”In October 2006, just six weeks into his first tour of duty in western Iraq, Kinard, a 23-year-old first lieutenant in the Marines, stepped on an improvised explosive device during a routine patrol. When he awoke a month later in a Maryland naval hospital, his legs were gone, and his chances of recovery were far from certain.“My first thought when I woke up was, ‘Where’s my rifle, and what’s my dad doing in Iraq?’ ” he said recently, between classes at HBS, where he is studying this year toward his joint degrees in business and law.Over the next several months, he endured 75 surgeries and agonizing pain. He was released from the hospital in April 2007 and devoted another year to intense physical therapy, learning to control the hands he almost lost and to care for himself in a wheelchair. He struggled to regroup after the military career he had trained for was cut short.“The hardest part about it is sitting on the bench and watching the game go by,” he said of having to leave his fellow Marines in Iraq.At a rehab session at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Kinard had a chance meeting with Jim Haynes, J.D. ’83, then-general counsel to the Department of Defense (DOD). He decided to take Haynes up on an offer of an internship with the DOD’s Office of Legislative Counsel in Washington, D.C. Less than two years after his accident, Kinard was moving to a new city, working in a high-profile office, and living by himself.“I knew that I could never just get settled, that I had to keep pushing the envelope,” he said. “I never really felt quite like myself until I started working again.”The internship experience convinced Kinard he was cut out for law school, and in 2008 he applied to Harvard Law School. He was accepted and made yet another solo move to a new city.“Growing up in South Carolina, Harvard was not even a word in my vocabulary,” he said. “It’s been an absolutely remarkable privilege to come here.”Not content to merely endure the rigors of law school — and not intending, he said, to become a lawyer — he applied to HBS last year and is now in his second year of a four-year joint degree program.Throughout his recovery, Kinard searched for ways to return to sports. An extreme-sports enthusiast who had played rugby at the Naval Academy, he missed the adrenaline rush and team spirit fostered by sports and in the Marines.Kinard started handcycling in Washington in noncompetitive rides sponsored by the Wounded Warrior Project. (He is now a member of the nonprofit organization’s board of directors.) He connected with Achilles International, an organization that sponsors the Boston Marathon team of wounded veterans, and finished his first Boston Marathon last year with a time of 1 hour, 52 minutes.“The beauty of an organization like Achilles is that they get guys interested in competitive athletics, reawakening that competitive spirit that is so often diminished after undergoing a traumatic, life-altering injury,” he said.While he misses the camaraderie of team sports, he said, handcycling allows him to reawaken the warrior ethos he learned in the military, a side of himself he feared could have been lost in the accident.“It’s encouraged, it is sought, it is cultivated,” he said. “Everything I did in the Marine Corps, both as a leader and with myself, was a competition.”There’s another problem with marathons: For a guy like Kinard, they’re too easy. Despite a busy schedule that left little time for practice, he clocked in Monday at 1:37:32, improving on last year’s time by 15 minutes and earning a fourth-place finish out of 17 handcyclers. He’d like to train for longer races, such as Sadler’s Alaska Challenge, a 260-mile journey from Fairbanks to Anchorage, considered the toughest handcycle race in the world.Kinard seems intent on focusing on the abilities he still has — a sharp mind, an intense competitive drive, those miraculously functioning arms — rather than the limits imposed by his disability. Otherwise, he joked, he’d be holed up in his apartment “with the shades drawn, crying and eating Ben and Jerry’s.”“Keeping that in mind colors everything that I do,” he said. “I have to choose not to think about what I’ve lost, but instead be very thankful for what I’ve still got.”last_img read more

Managing RBC, CFPB, data breaches, and more with NAFCU’s Dan Berger

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr We’re barely a month-and-a-half into 2015 and we’re already inundated by a myriad of major issues and items that credit unions must face this year and beyond: RBC, CFPB, tax status, compliancy, data breaches, executive turnover, and plenty more. To put these items in perspective, we invited NAFCU’s President/CEO Dan Berger on the program for his experienced insight. continue reading »last_img read more

NYPD Officer Brian Moore’s Funeral Arrangements Set

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Funeral arrangements have been set for the slain NYPD officer from Massapequa who died Monday after he was shot in the head by an alleged gunman in Queens Village.A wake will be held at Chapey & Sons Funeral Home in Bethpage for Officer Brian Moore on Thursday from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The fallen officer’s funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. at St. James Roman Catholic Church in Seaford on Friday.Police said Moore, 25, a member of the 105th Precinct’s anti-crime team, was shot in the head Saturday allegedly by 35-year-old Demetrius Blackwell while on patrol in the vicinity of 212th Street and 104th Ave.Blackwell, an ex-con who previously spent five years in prison for attempted murder, was initially charged with first-degree attempted murder, but the charges are likely to be upgraded to first-degree murder after Moore succumbed to his injuries Monday.Officer Moore and his partner were both in plainclothes and sitting inside an unmarked patrol car when they spotted Blackwell “adjusting an object in his waistband,” in the Queens Village section of South Queens at 6:15 p.m. Saturday, NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said.Moore, the driver, pulled up behind Blackwell and inquired about his actions, Bratton said. That’s when police said Blackwell allegedly turned toward the officers and fired several shots, striking Officer Moore in the head.“Both officers were still seated in the vehicle and did not have an opportunity to get out or return fire,” Bratton said. Moore has been described as a dedicated officer born into a police family. Both his father and uncle are retired NYPD sergeants and he has a cousin who is also a police officer, officials said.“Officer Moore did God’s work, like his father and his uncle before him,” Bratton said Monday. “He was doing God’s work when he confronted a felon. He was doing it when he was struck down. He did it to prevent crime and disorder, and to keep the community free from fear. He did it to make New York City safer and fairer.”Nassau County police released a statement late Monday expressing “its deepest regret and sadness” over Moore’s death.Gov. Andrew Cuomo Tuesday ordered flags on all state government buildings to be flown at half-staff in memory of the slain officer and Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano ordered flags at half-staff on county buildings through June 2.“Like so many of his brothers and sisters in uniform, Officer Moore served with selflessness and courage, and he will be greatly missed,” Cuomo said.last_img read more