Help by sharing this information News HaïtiAmericas Another journalist murdered in Haiti News November 14, 2019 Find out more News HaïtiAmericas RSF_en Follow the news on Haïti October 11, 2019 Find out more to go further News June 11, 2019 Find out more Receive email alerts April 17, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Activist killed in Gonaïves had not worked for Haïti Progrès for past three years Reporters Without Borders said today it was shocked at the murder of journalist Johnson Edouard, correspondent of the weekly paper Haïti Progrès, at his home in the city of Gonaïves on 12 April. The staff of the weekly newspaper Haïti Progrès have said that Johnson Edouard, who was killed on the night of 12 April in the north western city of Gonaïves, had not worked for the newspaper for about three years. The theory that he was murdered in connection with his political activism therefore seems more likely. Edouard was the regional representative of Fanmi Lavalas, former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s party.—————————————-15.04 – Second journalist in three months murdered Reporters Without Borders expressed shock today at the “brutal murder” of the correspondent of the weekly paper Haïti Progrès, Johnson Edouard, in the northwestern city of Gonaïves on 12 April.“He may have been killed because of his work, the press freedom organisation said, noting that “Haiti is still one of the most dangerous countries for journalists in the Americas.” Edouard was also a local official of the Fanmi Lavalas party.Gunmen broke into his home while he was sleeping and shot him in the head and chest before escaping through a window. A party official said he had been “executed” and claimed it was “not an isolated crime.”Freelance photographer Jean-Rémy Badiau was shot dead at his home in Martissant, a southern suburb of the capital, Port-au-Prince, on 19 January after taking pictures of gang members. Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiti Organisation Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice
ABC News(NEW YORK) — Severe weather this weekend brought more than 100 damaging storm reports from western Texas to the mid-Atlantic. Storms are expected to continue in the eastern U.S. for the next few days.Winds of more than 60 mph produced damage in Pennsylvania Sunday, uprooting trees and destroying some buildings. Meanwhile, hail the size of baseballs covered the ground in Texas Panhandle. Earlier this morning, an EF-0 tornado, with winds up to 80 mph tore through Palm Beach County, Florida.A stormy pattern from the Great Plains to the Northeast will continue for the next couple of days as a stalled frontal boundary remains in place. Several atmospheric impulses will move along this frontal boundary over the next two days increasing the chance for severe thunderstorms.A severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for parts of the Mid-Atlantic, including Washington, D.C., and Baltimore through 9 p.m. EDT. Strong to severe storms will quickly evolve into a squall line that will progress east, then southeast, across the Central Appalachians toward the Chesapeake Bay. Widespread damaging wind gusts of up to 75 mph will be the primary hazard with this line of storms. Isolated large hail or a brief tornado is also possible, but the threat is lower. A severe thunderstorm watch has also been issued for parts of Kansas and Missouri, including Wichita, Kansas City and St. Louis through 10 p.m. CDT. Primary threats will be scattered storms capable of severe wind gusts and large hail.Forty-eight million Americans are in the severe storm zone tonight from Texas to Virginia, including cities such as D.C., Baltimore, Chicago and Kansas City. Severe storms are possible Monday across this area. A few strong winds gusts, isolated large hail and flash flooding are all possible. The tornado threat is pretty low, but can’t be ruled out any time there is a severe weather threat.On Tuesday, more severe storms are expected for the Northeast. This includes Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and into Southern New England in the afternoon and evening. Again, the main threat with these storms will be damaging wind gusts, with the highest probability of widespread wind damage in the Hudson Valley and southern New England, where an enhanced risk has been issued for Tuesday.Watching the tropicsEven though the official start to the Atlantic hurricane season is not until June 1, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Hurricane Center is monitoring a disturbance in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for possible development into subtropical or tropical cyclone over the next several days.An area of low pressure developed southwest of the Florida Panhandle on Monday morning, bringing heavy rain to the central and southern parts of the state. Gusty winds, localized flash flooding and lightning are expected Monday in the state.Over the next several days, this low pressure will slowly drift north through the eastern Gulf of Mexico and continue to bring heavy rain to Florida, as well as most of the Southeast by Tuesday and Wednesday.A wide area of 2 to 4 inches of rain is forecast through Thursday for most of eastern Florida with localized areas getting more than 4 inches of rain. Flash flooding is possible.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Website of the week: www.diazresearch.comOn 4 Sep 2001 in Personnel Today Managing IT has always been an HR person’s worst nightmare, but DiazResearch aims to bring a better understanding between the two sides with thissite. Diaz is a commercial research consultancy selling research and reports topromote best practice in the field of IT and IT management. But it isaltruistic enough to know that good, sound advice for all helps to promote thecause (not to mention raising its profile) and the Web is the ideal vehicle fordisseminating it. All content on the site is originated and written by Diaz(unless otherwise stated), based on its own research. Areas covered includeworks councils, managing IT in a slowdown period and there is an illuminatingarticle on getting good pay data. “Like explosives, fast cars, and smallbabies, pay surveys can be deadly in the wrong hands,” the site says. Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.
It’s unethical to mine metadata It’s unethical to mine metadata April 30, 2006 Regular News Such information is protected by the attorney-client privilege Gary Blankenship Senior Editor Lawyers sending electronic documents should take all reasonable steps to remove “metadata” from those documents, and recipient lawyers should refrain from looking for metadata if they reasonably know that such information is not intended for their eyes.The Bar’s Professional Ethics Committee is putting that advice in a proposed advisory opinion for comment by Bar members. The committee also issued a PAO on digital copying of paper legal records and addressed the propriety of an estate lawyer being named the beneficiary in a client’s bank account, among other matters at its April 10 meeting in Orlando.Metadata is hidden information that computer word processing programs keep with a document and can accompany it when it is electronically transmitted. Such information can include when the document was created, who has viewed it, a history of changes and comments made, and other information. In one case, a client’s e-mailed comments about the document were attached while it was being revised. Even though the comments were deleted from the final version, they were still contained in the metadata and able to be recovered by the recipient.That example and others prompted the Bar Board of Governors to ask the PEC to look at the issue both from the sending and receiving attorney perspective. The board also passed a resolution expressing its disapproval at “mining” metadata from electronically transmitted documents.PEC members found that lawyers sending digital documents have a responsibility to see that confidential information is protected.“It is the sending lawyer’s obligation to take reasonable steps to safeguard the confidentiality of all communications sent by electronic means to other lawyers and third parties and to protect from other lawyers and third parties all confidential information, including information contained in metadata, that may be included in such electronic communications,” the PAO says.As for receiving attorneys, the opinion holds: “It is the recipient lawyer’s concomitant obligation, upon receiving an electronic communication or document from another lawyer, not to try to obtain from metadata information relating to the representation of the sender’s client when the recipient knows or should know that the information is not intended for the recipient. Any such metadata is to be considered by the receiving lawyer as confidential information which the sending lawyer did not intend to transmit.”The opinion also says that law firms may have to seek out continuing training and education to ensure a technological understanding of how to strip metadata from transmitted documents.The opinion is reproduced in full beginning on page 24. The PEC will consider any comments from members at its June meeting. Making electronic copies of paper records is another issue referred by the Board of Governors to the committee. Several attorneys, concerned about preparing their offices for hurricanes, have asked the Bar about the propriety of switching paper records to digital data. The PEC found there were no Bar rules that prohibit lawyers from making electronic copies of paper records. But it also said safeguards must be observed. “The committee cautions lawyers that electronic files must be readily reproducible and protected from inadvertent modification, degradation, or destruction. The lawyer may charge reasonable copying charges for producing copies of documents for clients.. . . Finally, lawyers must take reasonable precautions to ensure confidentiality of client information, particularly if the lawyer relies on third parties to convert and store paper documents to electronic records,” the opinion says. “The committee encourages the use of technology, such as electronic file storage, to facilitate cost-effective and efficient records management. However, the committee is of the opinion that a lawyer is not required to store files electronically, although a lawyer may do so.” That opinion is also reprinted in full, beginning on page 25. On the estate attorney issue, the committee had a vigorous debate. The inquiring attorney said that an estate planning client had died and left him $18,000 by naming him as a beneficiary to a bank trust account with that sum in it. The client also named the attorney as her personal representative to her estate. The lawyer had originally contacted the Bar’s Ethics Department in 1999 when the client wanted to give him a $15,000 check as a gift. The Bar advised him in a staff opinion that he should not accept the check, since Bar rules prohibit attorneys from preparing estate documents that confer a benefit on them. The client then apparently put the money in a trust account, naming the attorney as beneficiary. When she died, the bank contacted the attorney and said it could only release the money to him. Committee member Martha Barrera warned that allowing the gift could create a loophole in Bar rules where an attorney could exert undue influence on the client for the attorney’s benefit. But committee member Skip Smith said there appeared to be no violation of Bar rules, which only prohibit an attorney from preparing an instrument from which he or she benefits. The committee first voted 7-14 to reject a modified version of a staff opinion saying the lawyer could not accept the money, and then rejected the unmodified opinion 6-14. Smith made a motion to draft a staff opinion saying while there was no Bar rule prohibiting the acceptance of the gift, it might cause a conflict with the attorney’s position as personal representative of the estate. It also said if the attorney had anything to do with setting up the account, then he could not accept the gift. That passed 18-5. On another issue, the committee declined to withdraw Ethics Opinion 77-30, which holds that an attorney hired to work for an entire county commission cannot represent one commissioner on an ethics complaint before the state Ethics Commission. Local governments had complained that could make them hire expensive outside counsel to handle frivolous complaints against local elected officials. The PEC appointed a subcommittee, which recommended retaining the opinion, but noted it applied to a specific set of facts and there might be a different conclusion under a different set of facts. The board approved upholding the opinion 19-0. The committee also addressed two separate inquiries on ancillary businesses. In one, a bankruptcy attorney wanted to be able to act as a mortgage broker when clients seek to get out of bankruptcy by refinancing their homes. The second involved an attorney with mainly an estate planning practice who wanted to set up an ancillary business to advise clients and sell them life insurance. The committee responded to both that the practices would be allowed as long as the lawyers can fully comply with rules on personal conflicts of interest and follow the requirements of the rules on business transactions with clients.
New Delhi: Former India star V V S Laxman has intimated the BCCI ethics officer that he doesn’t need any further hearing in the alleged conflict of interest case over his dual role as Sunrisers Hyderabad mentor and member of the board’s Cricket Advisory Committee. Justice D K Jain has now reserved his orders after the BCCI and complainant Sanjeev Gupta also stated that no further arguments are required.Laxman and Tendulkar had lengthy depositions before Jain and the next date of hearing is scheduled on May 20 when they could be represented by their lawyers. It is learnt that Laxman has made it clear that he has nothing more to add to his submissions including the written one. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Laxman, who had in his affidavit, categorically denied having any conflict has made it clear that he is ready to recuse from his post as CAC member if charges are proved.”VVS Laxman has handed over his written submissions and states that the matter be decided based on the material already on record and the written submissions filed today and that he would not need any further hearing in the matter,” BCCI’s website uploaded the ethics officer’s statement.It is learnt that Gupta and the BCCI “shall be at liberty to file any further submissions in response to the written submissions filed today, on behalf of Laxman, within 7 days from today”.