Eighty-Six year old embarks on hunger strike

first_imgAn 86 year old woman is carrying out a 72 hour hunger strike in Oxford City Centre in protest against the construction of the University’s controversial £18m biomedical research laboratory on South Parks Road.Joan Court, from Cambridge, is staging her protest on Cornmarket Street until Saturday afternoon. Court said her main aim is “to make a moral and spiritual stand against something that I find wicked.”An injunction currently prohibits animal rights protests from entering within 100 yards of any building owned by the University or its colleges. However, police have since visited and approved the location of Court’s protest.Court said that although she was against violent demonstration, she is “not opposed to the destruction of property” as a means to free animals used in vivisection.“It is immensely important that students know what is happening,” she said, “and that if they feel it is wrong, they can have a voice.”Joan Court has worked for both the World Health Organisation and Quaker group in India at the time of the civil disobedience movement led by Mahatma Gandhi before the independence of India from the British Empire. Court says that he is a great personal inspiration to her own methods of protest.A debate chaired by Tony Benn, the longest serving Labour MP in the history of the party, was also held at Oxford Town Hall on Thursday 21 April. The debate, entitled “Animal Experiments: Science or Fiction?” was attended by Dr Jarrod Bailey, Science director of Europeans for Medical Progress.The organisation, formerly known as ETMA, includes medical professionals and scientists who support investigation into mainstream medical research, particularly the effectiveness of animal testing in preserving human life.The university stated that it would be investing in research into alternative methods of drug testing, although it was not willing to disclose to what extent this would be.The contractors – Montpellier Group, and RMC – for the construction of the lab pulled out of the project last summer following continued protests.ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005last_img read more

Aston Villa begin search for new boss after sacking Tim Sherwood

first_img Villa have lost their last six league games with their only win coming on the opening day at Bournemouth. Sherwood leaves the club four points from the safety line having managed them for just 28 games, winning 10, losing 16 and drawing two. The club said in a statement: “The board has monitored the performances closely all season and believes the results on the pitch were simply not good enough and that a change is imperative. “However, the club would like to place on record its sincere thanks to Tim for all his efforts during a difficult period last season and for the many positive contributions he has made to the entire football set-up during his time with the club. We wish him well in the future.” The 46-year-old was dismissed on Sunday following a dismal start to the season which has seen Villa plummet to the bottom of the Barclays Premier League. They slipped to the foot of the table hours after Sherwood was sacked thanks to Sunderland’s 3-0 win over Newcastle. Aston Villa have begun the search for Tim Sherwood’s replacement after losing patience with their former boss. Press Association Press Association Sport understands Sherwood will net a 12-month pay-off after leaving just eight months into a three-and-a-half year deal. He was axed along with assistant Ray Wilkins, first-team coach Mark Robson and performance analyst Seamus Brady following Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Swansea. Villa’s Under-21 boss Kevin MacDonald has been placed in caretaker charge and is expected to manage the side for Wednesday’s Capital One Cup trip to Southampton as well as next Monday’s league game at Tottenham. MacDonald was previously caretaker boss in 2010 after Martin O’Neill quit and was brought back to the club by Sherwood in February after a coaching spell at Nottingham Forest. Press Association Sport understands four or five names are in the frame to succeed Sherwood with former Lyon manager Remi Garde the early bookies’ favourite. The ex-Arsenal midfielder, who held talks with Newcastle last season, is a free agent after leaving Lyon in 2014 saying he wanted a break for personal reasons. He spent three years in charge at the Stade de Gerland and won the Coupe de France in 2012 having previous won the Premier League in 1998 as a player with Arsenal. Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson, Brendan Rodgers, available after leaving Liverpool, and David Moyes, currently in charge at Real Sociedad, have also been backed. last_img read more

Gonzaga adds graduate transfer, highly rated recruit

first_img Associated Press Cook was leading the Salukis in scoring (15 points per game) and assists (3.3) when his season was cut short. He was shooting 55.2% from the field. Meanwhile, the signing of 6-foot-5, 195-pound guard Jalen Suggs from St. Paul, Minnesota, wrapped up perhaps the best recruiting class in program history. Suggs ranks fifth on ESPN’s Top-100 list in the class of 2020.Suggs averaged 23.5 points per game during his senior season at Minnehaha Academy. He also averaged 7.3 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 3.8 steals.Suggs is only the second recruit in Gonzaga history to be named a McDonald’s All-American, joining former Zag Zach Collins. Suggs was also one of five finalists for Naismith High School Boys National Player of the Year. The two players join a Gonzaga team that finished 31-2 last season and qualified for a 22nd straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament, which was canceled this year.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditSPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Gonzaga has added a graduate transfer from Southern Illinois and signed the highest-rated high school player in the basketball program’s history.The team said Thursday that Southern Illinois point guard Aaron Cook will be eligible to play next season.The 6-foot-2 Cook played in just six games last season before breaking his shooting hand against Murray State. He will receive a medical red shirt that allows him to play next season, the team said. April 16, 2020 Gonzaga adds graduate transfer, highly rated recruitlast_img read more

Coverage of the Fatal Shooting of Two Graduate Students

first_imgTwo graduate students were shot dead in a car on Raymond Avenue near the intersection of 27th Street early Wednesday, April 13. The Los Angeles Police Department responded to the scene shortly after 1 a.m., where Viterbi School of Engineering graduate students Ying Wu and Ming Qu, both 23 years old and from China, were found shot.The university and LAPD are working together in the ongoing investigation. The unknown suspect was last seen wearing dark clothes running southbound on Raymond Avenue at about the same time a black sedan was leaving the area. The race and gender of the suspect are unknown.Detectives encourage anyone with information to call the LAPD’s Criminal Gang Homicide Division at (213) 485-4341 or the Detective Information Desk at the 24-hour toll-free number 877-LAPD-24-7.Ani Kolangian | Daily TrojanLatest NewsUniversity to hold memorial service for Ming Qu, Ying WuCity offers $75,000 rewardVictims’ families meet with LAPD, visit crime sceneUSC, LAPD encourage public helpViterbi, LAPD hold meeting on shooting, safetyVictims’ families will travel to Los AngelesLAPD, university hold press conference to announce award, encourage public helpCampus ReactionUniversity to offer $125k rewardCrime not common in the area, DPS saysDetectives continue searching for clues, leads in double homicideResidents, DPS urge students to be aware of surroundingsStudents, faculty hold vigil for Qu, WuTwo graduate students shot deadPhotosRemembering students Ming Qu and Ying WuLAPD/USC press conference Remembrance Ming Qu, 23, remembered for his friendship, dedication to familyYing Wu, 23, remembered for her determination and love for readingUSC gathers to remember Ying Wu, Ming Qucenter_img Location of the shootingViewlast_img read more

Authorities search for thieves who stole toilet paper and other items from store

first_imgThe Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office says they are currently searching for two thieves who stole toilet paper and several other items from a  Walmart store.The incident was reported on March 19th at the location at 6294 Forest Hill Blvd.Officials say the suspects stole two packs of Charmin toilet paper, four cases of Corona beer,  two cases of Tide laundry detergent, a large package of paper towels, and several Swiffer cleaning products and costed the store at least $500.The thieves then fled the store in a 2013 white Hyundai.If you have any information about this incident, you are asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-458-TIPS.last_img read more