SUNY JCC Returns To Remote Operations

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) WNY News Now File Image.JAMESTOWN – In an attempt to maintain low levels of COVID-19 at SUNY JCC, all operations will move to a remote format starting today.The college announced the change on its website.As predicted by healthcare officials, a significant increase in COVID-19 cases is occurring in the region.  With recommendations from JCC’s health services team, they are suspending on-campus instruction and campus operations.“This decision was made with an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our students and employees during this second, and in many cases, more severe wave of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said JCC president Daniel DeMarte in a statement. “Cases of COVID-19 are predicted to continue to climb even higher in the coming holiday weeks.” However, essential personnel are allowed on campus. Courses scheduled through Cornell Cooperative Extension and Workforce Readiness will continue as scheduled.The school says student support services, which include tutoring, academic advising, library services, and more, will continue to be available to students.The college says they will continue remote until the Christmas break.last_img read more

CU trades seek help from Congress & DoJ in ADA battle

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » Credit union trade groups are urging Congress to enact legislation and the Justice Department to issue final rules that would assist businesses in fighting lawsuits contending that their websites violate Americans With Disabilities Act.At least nine lawsuits have been filed against credit unions alleging that their websites are inaccessible to the visually impaired. All the complaints were filed by one plaintiff who is represented by the same attorney.As a result, the credit union trade groups are seeking help from the federal government, saying the issue remains unclear and leads to lawsuits.“The Department of Justice began considering developing regulations to address this topic over seven years ago but never completed the process,” CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle said, in an e-mail sent to member credit unions.last_img read more

Pennsylvania Receives $523 Million in One-Time Federal Emergency Funds to Support Schools

first_imgPennsylvania Receives $523 Million in One-Time Federal Emergency Funds to Support Schools May 13, 2020 Education,  Press Release Governor Tom Wolf announced today that the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) has approved Pennsylvania’s application for $523.8 million in one-time federal emergency funds to help schools respond to COVID-19 impacts.“Our schools and educators have been working tirelessly to help students and their families during this crisis,” said Governor Wolf. “These efforts must be paired with investments that reflect the unprecedented scale of this challenge. USDE’s approval of Pennsylvania’s application is an important first step in securing those investments.”The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) submitted its Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund application to USDE last week.Beginning today, local education agencies (LEAs) can apply to PDE to receive their allocation of the funding and can expect to start receiving funds within the next several weeks.“As educators, our top priority has always been to ensure the health and safety of staff and students,” said Secretary of Education Pedro A. Rivera. “The COVID-19 pandemic has brought unprecedented change to our school communities, and school leaders across the state have stepped up to ensure students and families continue to be served. These funds will provide vital assistance during this critical time.”Under the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, at least 90 percent, or $471 million, of the funds will flow through to traditional public schools and charter schools. Each entity will receive an amount proportional to federal Title I-A funds received in 2019 under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).LEAs may use ESSER funding for a wide range of purposes, including food service, professional training, technology purchases, sanitization and cleaning supplies, summer and after-school programs, and mental health supports. Funds must be used by September 2022. PDE is urging school entities to prioritize investments for vulnerable students and families, including those living in the deepest poverty, students with disabilities, English learners, migrant students, students experiencing homelessness, and children in foster care.View a list of what each school district and charter school will receive in ESSER funds.The remaining ESSER funds will be used for state-level activities to address issues caused by COVID-19. PDE plans to use the funds to support initiatives, including remote learning, that can be designed and implemented with greater economy of scale at the state level than would be possible or practical for LEAs to pursue individually.For more information about Pennsylvania’s education policies and programs, please visit the Department of Education’s website or follow PDE on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.Ver esta página en español.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Who voted FOR euthanasia in the 1st Reading?

first_imgMarama Davidson, Julie Anne Genter, Golriz Ghahraman, Gareth Hughes, Jan Logie, Eugenie Sage, James Shaw, Chloe SwarbrickACTDavid SeymourINDEPENDENTJami-Lee RossEmail the MPs who voted YES. Ask them to Reject Assisted Suicide.To email any MP, simply put firstname.surname@parliament.govt.nze.g. john.smith@parliament.govt.nzTo find out your local MP/s, go to www.HaveYourSay.nz NATIONALAmy Adams, Paula Bennett, Chris Bishop, Matt Doocey, Andrew Falloon, Nathan Guy, Harete Hipango, Brett Hudson, Nikki Kaye, Matt King, Barbara Kuriger, Mark Mitchell, Scott Simpson, Stuart Smith, Erica Stanford, Anne Tolley, Tim van de Molen, Hamish Walker, Jian YangLABOURKiri Allan, Ginny Andersen, Jacinda Ardern, Tamati Coffey, Liz Craig, Clare Curran, Kelvin Davis, Ruth Dyson, Paul Eagle, Kris Faafoi, Peeni Henare, Chris Hipkins, Raymond Huo, Willie Jackson, Iain Lees-Galloway, Andrew Little, Marja Lubeck, Jo Luxton, Nanaia Mahuta, Trevor Mallard, Kieran McAnulty, Stuart Nash, Greg O’Connor, David Parker, Willow-Jean Prime, Priyanca Radhakrishnan, Grant Robertson, Adrian Rurawhe, Deborah Russell, Carmel Sepuloni, Jan Tinetti, Louisa Wall, Angie Warren-Clark, Duncan Webb, Meka Whaitiri, Michael Wood, Megan WoodsNZ FIRSTDarroch Ball, Shane Jones, Jenny Marcroft, Ron Mark, Tracey Martin, Clayton Mitchell, Mark Patterson, Winston Peters, Fletcher TabuteauGREENSlast_img read more

Basketball Brawls

first_imgMost of you probably know about the brawl that occurred during a Ben Davis/Pike girls basketball game this past season.  The IHSAA suspended both programs and banned them from this year’s state tournament.  Last year the IHSAA had to do the same with the boys’ programs after a Hammond/Griffith brawl.  In this case, Griffith found a judge who granted them an injunction and they continued in the tournament.  They eventually lost to Guerin Catholic in the state finals.The IHSAA has since appealed this ruling, and they are waiting for the results.  If the IHSAA wins, Griffith will be stripped of all those wins and titles they won after the injunction.  Neither girls’ school appealed the ruling.  However, Ben Davis has questioned the wording of the IHSAA pertaining to subsequent incidents.  What they are worried about is what might happen if any incident occurs in any sport they will participate in this next year.What Ben Davis worries about, and most schools should as well, is open-ended rulings by the IHSAA without specific consequences laid out for any subsequent incidents.last_img read more

Rodgers not happy with Sturridge

first_imgLiverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has told Daniel Sturridge to take responsibility for his own fitness after the striker was limited to an 11-minute substitute appearance in the Merseyside derby. The 24-year-old played the full duration of England’s friendly with Germany last week when Rodgers felt he was not fit to do so having been affected by a dead leg. The former Swansea manager therefore named him as a substitute for Saturday’s Barclays Premier League game against Everton, a role Sturridge embraced as he stepped off the bench to score a late equaliser in a thrilling 3-3 draw. Quoted in the Daily Telegraph, Rodgers said: “I am looking at him in training on Friday and he is not right. Whose responsibility is that? It is the association, the player. All I can do is look and assess who will give me absolutely everything when they go out on the field. “We have a game against a massive rival away from home. I need everyone as close to 100 per cent as I possibly can. He is clearly not. A lot of players, especially the top ones, are never 100 per cent fit. “Suarez will never have been 100 per cent in his time here. Different personalities, different types. “Daniel has been a match-winner for us throughout his time here but I didn’t feel, because of that level of fitness, he was going to be that for us. I have seen it before. There is a trend. “There are some games when he hasn’t played well and that has happened on the back of not training. With any player, you have to put yourself on the training field. If you do that, you will be in with a chance of playing.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Sumner County Farm Bureau to hold legislative coffee on Saturday at 10 a.m.

first_imgSumner Newscow report — Sumner County Farm Bureau Association will be sponsoring a legislative coffee.  It will be held on Saturday, March 12, at 10 a.m. at the Wellington Daylight Donut Shop.  Sen. Steve Abrams, Rep. Kyle Hoffman, and Rep. Kasha Kelley are planning on attending.  Coffee and doughnuts will be provided.  Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

Pau Gasol wants to play one more season with the Lakers

first_imgGiven the context of the Lakers’ relative struggles in the post-Shaquille O’Neal era from 2004 through 2007, Gasol’s arrival in LA via trade in February 2008 paved the way for the franchise’s latest pair of NBA titles. Alongside the late Kobe Bryant, Gasol helped the Lakers make three straight NBA Finals appearances, winning two.Gasol, widely considered the greatest Spanish basketball player of all time, also mentioned that he needs to be an active professional player next season to give himself a chance of playing in the Olympics one more time.“I’m feeling good. I’ve had more time to recover,” he said. “When I can start running and jumping I will have a lot more information to know for sure if the foot and the bone are consolidated for me to be playing professional basketball again.” Gasol, 39, told Spanish media (via The Associated Press) that a return to the Lakers for the 2020-21 NBA season is an “attractive” option. The 7-foot Barcelona native also said he wouldn’t mind ending his career where it started, with his hometown EuroLeague team.MORE: What to know about the NBA’s return to play“My intention is to play another season if the foot is OK, either in the NBA or in Europe,” said Gasol, who was signed by the Trail Blazers in free agency last July but never played for Portland due to a stress fracture in his left foot. He was waived by the team in November.“A final season with the Lakers is attractive,” he added. “Finishing at Barça is attractive. But you have to see the real possibilities and see what situation would be best for the circumstances of the moment.”The Lakers’ NBA playoff drought will end this year when the season resumes in late summer at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla. Los Angeles, with a 49-14 record and sitting atop the Western Conference standings, has already clinched a playoff spot. Pau Gasol, whose two NBA championships came with the Lakers in 2009 and 2010, last played for Los Angeles in the 2013-14 season. The Lakers missed the playoffs that year for just the third time in four decades, and they haven’t returned to the postseason since.Now Gasol, who left the franchise that summer as a free agent and has spent the past five years with the Bulls, Spurs, Raptors and Bucks, is eyeing a chance to end his playing career where he spent his prime.last_img read more

In Oceanport, New Historian Researching Old History

first_imgBy Rick Geffken |OCEANPORT – When Frank Barricelli attended his hometown Borough Council meeting this month, he merely wanted to ask the assembled officials to consider appointing a borough historian. He figured his request would be taken under advisement, debated at future meetings, maybe put aside for more urgent matters, and eventually a historian would be named.Two years ago when Barricelli restarted the moribund historical committee, he approached the council about the south Shrewsbury River town’s imminent 100th anniversary. He reminded them that “the centennial’s coming up, we really should do something about our town history book, published 50 years ago. A lot has happened since,” he said.Oceanport was still recovering from Super Storm Sandy and, as Barricelli remembers, “Everyone’s priorities were elsewhere with more important things to do.”In the meantime, Barricelli was reading everything about Oceanport he could. He found old photos, had them enlarged at his own expense, and suggested the council might put them up in the new town hall being planned. One of Barricelli’s motivations, besides loving where he lives, was that “new people moving in didn’t know what had occurred here in the last hundred years.”While Frank was assiduously researching, he made a trip to the Monmouth County Archives in Manalapan. “As a result of that visit,” he said, “and meeting Brielle’s historian John Belding, I got an email from him saying that all Monmouth County towns are ‘encouraged’ to have a historian.”In a be-careful-what-you-wish-for moment, Frank brought the email to the Oceanport Council at their November meeting. No sooner had he finished, when Mayor John “Jay” Coffey said, “Congratulations, you’re our historian,” which left Frank flabbergasted.His immersions into the past hundred years of local history will result in the publication of an updated version of “Oceanport in Retrospect.” The borough put out the original 224-page-plus volume in 1970. That one is chock-full of pictures, old maps and charts and the reminiscences of local citizens about the town that built up around what was called the Eatontown Dock.In the nineteenth century, around 1830, James P. Allaire built the dock on the South Shrewsbury River because of its relatively easy access to the ocean – through the now-closed Shrewsbury Inlet – and New York. Allaire’s furnace was cranking out hundreds of manufactured products like teapots and kettles from his factory in the Marsh’s Bog area (today’s Howell and Farmingdale). The inlet eventually sanded over and the new railroad routes throughout the shore mitigated the need for the town dock. The “Ocean Port” was effectively abandoned by the time the Civil War started.Frank loves pouring through documents like the old donated scrapbooks which revealed long-forgotten events affecting the town. He was surprised to learn, for instance, that when the old Pleasure Bay Swing Bridge, which connected the town to Long Branch, was torn down in the early 1960s “Long Branch fought rebuilding the bridge. They felt that a new elevated bridge with approach ramps would make them lose valuable housing lots.” Without a new bridge, the Oceanport peninsula would have become more isolated. “Our neighboring town was not exactly helping us keep our town viable.”Defining his new role as borough historian is keeping Barricelli plenty busy. “The only requirement, apparently, is that we file a report (to the county) once a year outlining our accomplishments.” But Frank Barricelli is not a man to accept a title with minimal responsibilities. He’s deeply involved in getting all the town’s organizations ready for the centennial celebrations, including procuring a proclamation of congratulations from, he hopes, Gov. Murphy in Trenton.He foresees an “Oceanport Day” at Monmouth Park racetrack. He’s still committed to decorating the new town hall with antique photos and maps highlighting the rich history of Oceanport. He wants to restock the library with local history books that he’s been buying himself. He’d love to see signs with photographs all over town indicating historical events and landmarks at places like Wharf Park, Red Men’s Hall, Wolf Hill and Fort Monmouth.Frank Barricelli’s challenge, like that of all historians, is assembling all he’s compiled and finding the time to begin writing his updated history of the town. He keeps finding interesting and little-known facts.“I just read that Aaron Burr’s in-laws, the Bartow’s, lived on nearby Horse Neck.” He’s on a mission to verify it before “that fact” winds up as an interesting tidbit in the book.“It’s one of those things,” he grins, “It’s hard to get started, but once you do, it’s all going to tumble out.”This article was first published in the Nov. 29 – Dec. 5, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.last_img read more